Front Page > Beatles News
Beatles legends at the Hamburg Sound Festival this weekend
Fans of Beat music and the sixties will rejoice: After the memorable success in 2006, Hamburg is about to celebrate its second "Hamburg Sound Festival". Concerts of famous Beat legends are going to be staged at the hamburgmuseum and the neighbouring "Fliegende Bauten". Once again, talk shows and autograph sessions with artists and contemporaries from the sixties are also on the agenda.
Rarities for Beat and Beatles fans are to be found at the international vendors and collectors market located under the atrium roof of the museum's inner yard. Here, fans will have the opportunity of letting experts do appraisals of their Beatles, Beat and Star-Club collectors items. For the first time, the prestigious band-contest of "Wir suchen die Kings of Beat" (Searching for the Kings of Beat) will be held and the "Hamburg Sound Lifetime Award" bestowed upon an individual who has gained merit by promoting the Hamburg Sound.
Moreover, hamburgmuseum is going to present two photographic exhibitions: "Beatlemania", focussing on the Beatles fans, and "Beat in Farbe" (Beat in Colour) showing works of Günter Zint, Petra Niemeyer and other name photographers.
Confirmed guests so far include Astrid Kirchherr, Tony Sheridan, Mark Lewisohn, Allan Williams, Lee Curtis & The Bonds, The Bats, Uschi Nerke, Günter Zint, Erwin Ross, Julian Dawson, Kingsize Taylor, Ian's Zodiacs, The Creapers, The Beafore and many more.
Assorted program highlights:
• Tony Sheridan -- The legend live on stage and in interview
• Talk panel with: Mark Lewisohn, The Beatles-Chronist
• Talk panel with: Allan Williams, the Beatles' first manager, The Man who gave the Beatles away
• Photographer and Beatles companion Astrid Kirchherr presents and signs her new photo book
• Lee Curtis & The Bonds -- The Star-Club legend will be appearing the 29th at "Fliegende Bauten" as well as talking to Julian Dawson about his time at the Star-Club
• Star-Club photographer Günter Zint takes a picture of you as fifth Beatle in front of a life-sized Beatles-portrait of Erwin Ross, the "Rubens von St. Pauli" -- either in a original Beatles Jacket from Gordon Millings and/or at original 60ies Ludwig Drumkit
• Musician and Beatles expert Stefanie Hempel conducts a guided tour of all important Beatles-related sites on the "Kiez", accompanied by background information and songs played live, both days at 2.00 and 4.00 p.m.
• Icke Braun -- The friend of the Beatles from Top Ten and Star-Club times remembers
• Band Contest "Wir suchen die Kings of Beat (Searching for the Kings of Beat)" -- The jury headed by Ted "Kingsize" Taylor will elect the "Kings of Beat" from the roster of participating bands Suzie & The Seniors, The Montesas, The Prangles, The Beafore, Get Back, Ian's Zodiacs and The Creapers, Rubbersoul, Lucy in the Sky and others
Tickets are available at the hamburgmuseum. Tickets may also be ordered online at www.eventim.de, by phone from +49-(0)1805-57 00 81 and from all regular pre-sale counters.
The Hamburg Sound Festival 2
• Hamburg Sound Festival (in German)
Published March 25, 2008